Cotter Schools is named after the first Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Winona, Minnesota, Bishop Joseph Bernard Cotter.
Joseph Cotter was born in Liverpool, England on November 19, 1844; his family moved to the U. S. when he was 4 years old and settled in Ohio where Joseph received his elementary education. In 1855, Joseph and his father moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota where Joseph has later ordained a priest in 1871. After ordination, Father Cotter was named pastor for St. Thomas parish in Winona (the third-largest city in Minnesota at that time).
On December 27, 1889, Fr. Cotter has consecrated Bishop of the new diocese of Winona in the Cathedral at St. Paul. Ten days later he was installed in the Pro-cathedral of St. Thomas on January 5, 1890. Bishop Cotter died in 1909, and, in 1911, his successor, Bishop Patrick Heffron, dedicated Cotter School for Boys and named it Bishop Cotter. The school was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day in 1911.
Bishop Cotter was bishop at a time of great immigration, when many ethnic churches were established in the diocese -- Irish, Polish, Czech, German, etc. During his administration, nearly three dozen schools were established in the parishes of the diocese.
- Application fee
- Personal statement
- Student questionnaire
- Three recommendations
- Three years transcripts
- English test or standard test
- Student passport copy
% of scholarship: